Private Kung Fu - and Tai Chi Instruction
RSS

Recent Posts

Gender and Mutual Respect
The Perception of Martial Artists
Recovering from a pitfall
Manage your fear and better your life.
What I Learned in my Year Away

Categories

Just Life
Life and Martial Arts
powered by

Martial Arts and Life

Empty Your Cup

"Empty your cup."

I first read this phrase in a book entitled Zen in the Martial Arts. This chapter of the book talks all about when one learns something they must first empty their mind of any past knowledge and idea. This doesn't just apply to martial arts, it applies to all of life. I often have the problem where I am trying to go to bed and my thoughts will drift to past events or conflicts. during these times I try to remind myself that those events are in the past. If they are something I absolutely must think about I try to remember that there is a time and place for that, and it is not when i should be sleeping.

This goes hand in hand another lesson from that book; to live in the moment. In the present there are no regrets as there can be in the past. If you fully devote yourself to whatever task you are trying to accomplish your experiences will be far more rich and fulfilling. Even sleeping will be more restful if one can let go of their daily trials.

6 Comments to Empty Your Cup:

Comments RSS
Jeet Kune Do Techniques on Monday, May 07, 2012 11:40 PM
Empty your cup is one of the words of wisdom that Bruce Lee share and left for many people, especially in martial arts. “Empty your cup, rid yourself of old outmoded thinking and open your mind to the endless possibilities that can only be born of positive and empowering thoughts” will help you to face all the circumstances that come to you.
Reply to comment

Muay Thai on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:01 AM
This url is very great and enjoyable to read. I am a huge believer of the topics blogged about. I also enjoy reading the replies, but I notice that alot of people should stay on topic to try and add something to the original blog post. I would also ask everyone to bookmark this page to your most used website to help spread the word. Thanks
Reply to comment

swiss army watch womens on Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:35 PM
ble|reasonable} initially, did not work very well with me personally after some time. Someplace throughout the sentences you managed to make me a believer but only for a short while. I nevertheless have a problem with your jumps in assumptions and one might do well to fill in all those breaks. In the event you actually can accomplish that, I will surely end up being amazed.
Reply to comment

prada bags on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:18 AM
Because you can arrest it , I put a hot link to my website actually , the man added .
Reply to comment

prada belts on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:27 AM
Thank you for this rich web site . I am worse in order to arrest the article some additional , but I get that deception disguised properly in my website your website .
Reply to comment

omega watches on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:31 AM
I am animated that you have to aggregate this!
Reply to comment